Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Elections

The TV is off earlier than I thought it would be tonight. It is only 9:00 pm as I begin to write this post, and all I hear is silence.

Now, you may want to ask me, "Why is this significant?" That is a good question.

As you may or may not know, Nate and I take care of my grandmother, Gloria. If I had to describe Gloria in two words it would be: eternal optimist. If, however, I had to describe Gloria in one word it would be: Republican.

The three men she admires the most are Jesus, Harold MacDermott (aka Grandpa Mac) and Ronald Reagan.

She's not just a voting republican, but a passionate and committed republican. When she's not listening to FOX news she has it on mute with subtitles while she listens to Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity. Normally this "noise" bothers me, but I couldn't let it get to me today. We walked past her tonight as she patiently waited for the results and Nate tenderly whispered in my ear, "Awe, she's so excited." She was like an elementary schooler waiting to hear if her class won their Spirit Day.

She has been waiting for this election since Obama was voted in as President of the United States, and yet she is in bed before the results for Minnesota have been fully announced. Tiring easily is one of the things that bothers her the most about getting old.

I am tracking the election online for her since it is a process too new and complicated for her. I'll leave her a post-it with the results in the morning.

"Most bad government has grown out of too much government."
-Thomas Jefferson

For Gloria. The bravest and most passionate women I have ever known.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...